In the Birthplace of Outdoor Painting
July 24 – August 7, 2017
John Lasater, Top of Laguna
You’re invited to take your outdoor paintings to the next level with John P. Lasater IV and Jason Sacran, while painting the beautiful motifs of Civita Castellana, Italy. Civita Castellana was a favorite destination of artists such as Corot, Turner, Ingres, Bidault, Bertin, as well as many others before them, and it’s easy to see why. The severe plateaus and pastoral hills dotted with ancient architecture are nothing short of Arcadian. It’s an en plein air dream, really.
Known for their string of awards in American plein air competitions, Jason and John excel at design, sophisticated color mixing, paint application and edge-control. And now, with years of teaching under their belts, expect to be encouraged and challenged by their demonstrations and hands-on help; all of this in what is arguably the birthplace of outdoor painting!
The workshop group will gather on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays during the two weeks, and will include lectures, demonstrations and on-site critique. Special group excursions open to all JSS participants will be held on Thursdays (the two excursions during the workshop will be Napoli and Siena). Weekends and afternoons are free for independent work, additional trips to nearby towns, or a visit to Rome, which is conveniently nearby.
As a part of the JSS in Civita Summer program, you will also have the opportunity to attend lectures, critiques and demonstrations by Israel Hershberg, Yael Scalia, Susan Jane Walp and others. JSS in Civita is a six-week program, and you are welcome to sign up for additional weeks.
- Introduce you to new ways of approaching one of the toughest artistic subjects – landscapes painted outdoors.
- Further your knowledge of wet-on-wet oil painting, and ways to use your tools.
- Empower you to make better choices when deciding what and how to paint; choices that fit you personally and this place in art history.
- Introduce you to painting larger canvases outdoors, and in multiple sessions.
- Add nocturnal painting to your repertoire.
- Learn new ways to conquer your emotional roadblocks.
- Teach you about the history of outdoor painting, and its Italian geographical context.
Please do not hesitate to contact John Lasater with any questions.